Give Blood This Tuesday (6/30) With The Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center
With COVID-19 and Coronavirus, pretty much everything slowed or shut down... even blood donations. But the need has not gone away. Here's your chance to help!
This Tuesday (6/30), the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center will be hosting a special blood drive at their location at 4867 Asbury Road in Dubuque from 10am to 3pm.
This morning we spoke with Kirby Winn, the Public Relations Manager for the MVRBC.
Hospitals never close and slow down so the need for blood is constant... even during the pandemic. The use of blood at the hospitals the MVRBC serve did go down during March and April, but consumption is up again due to the return of elective procedures.
The MVRBC supplies 115 hospitals from Madison, Wisconsin to St. Louis, Missouri. If you're in the Y105 listening area and have visited a hospital... it's likely it was supplied by them.
The MVRBC will be welcoming as many donors as they can for their event next Tuesday. If you're coming, here's a few things you need to know:
- Make an appointment. Walk in donors keep the MVRBC from keeping a crowd from forming in their office. A nice, steady donor flow is what they're looking for.
- Everyone should come wearing a mask. Staff will also be wearing masks. If you don't have one, they can provide one to you. This will help them keep a safe, hygienic environment for everyone.
- If you're not feeling well, don't come. Fever, coughs and just not feeling yourself is enough to maybe put off donating. You can always call and make an appointment for another day.
- Donors should plan on being at the center for about an hour. The donation only takes about 8 to 10 minutes but you'll need to register and do a pre-donation screening. They'll also have you hang out after giving blood for snacks and drinks to make sure you're feeling well before leaving.
- To give you can schedule online at their WEBSITE or call them at 563.349.1571.
While we ultimately hope you come to help save a life, there are a few incentives for you to come during their blood drive event.
Donors will receive a free pita and dip from Pita Pit. You'll also get a $10 gift card from the blood center that you can redeem towards a number of businesses. (The Pita Pit giveaway is only available during the event and the $10 gift card will actually continue through the summer.)
You could help save a life! We hope you make it out!