Impress Your Friends With These Fascinating Dubuque Tidbits
Dubuque is a wonderful city rich with historical ties. Most Dubuquers know that we were the first city in Iowa, but there are plenty of other interesting things about Dubuque that you might not have known!
Interesting Dubuque Facts:
- Notorious gangster, Al Capone, had ties to the Hotel Julien.
- Money Magazine ranked Dubuque in 2006 as having the lowest commute time in the country, at only 11.8 minutes.
- Kate Mulgrew, the Star Trek Voyager and Orange Is The New Black actress, is from Dubuque.
- Local restaurant, Marco’s, is known nationally for their pizza - Jay Leno even made a point to stop there when he was in town!
- George R.R Martin, Game of Thrones author, was a professor at Clarke and said his wintery Westeros scenes were inspired by Dubuque.
- The caramels made by the Trapestine nuns are well-known across the country.
- Dubuque's courthouse is the only one in the state with a gold-leaf dome.
- The 4th Street elevator is known as the world’s shortest and steepest elevator.
- Several movies have been filmed in and around Dubuque, including F.I.S.T. (1978), Take This Job and Shove It (1981), and multiple scenes in Field of Dreams (1989)
- Dubuque is home to the turkey & dressing sandwich, with Cremer's Grocery being the one we can thank for its popularity.
- In 2020 Business Insider ranked the "Best US Cities to live in after the pandemic" with Dubuque coming in at number 16.
- Dubuque’s Independence Day Fireworks show is ranked among the top 10 best fireworks displays in the country.