Are You An Iowa Expert? How Well Do Know Your Own State?
How much do you know about your state? It's time for a little trivia! Let's test your Iowa knowledge. Give yourself a point for every question you answer correctly.
1. What is Iowa's state motto?
"Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain."
2. How many states border Iowa?
The answer is 6. North going clockwise Iowa is bordered by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Were you able to name them all?
3. Where does the word "Iowa" come from?
Our state was named "Iowa" after the Native American Tribe of the same name
4. What is the Capitol of Iowa?
5. What percent of corn grown in the US is produced in Iowa?
No wonder we're known as the land where the tall corn grows. Iowa produces 20% of the corn grown in the US!
6. What is Iowa's state bird?
Those cute little yellow and black birds you always see around bird feeders? They are Eastern Goldfinches, and they are our state bird!
7. What year did Iowa get statehood?
Iowa became the 29th state on December 28, 1846, after the Louisianna Purchase doubled the size of the country.
8. Who was the only President born in Iowa?
Herbert Hoover was born in West Branch, Iowa.
9. What is Iowa's largest industry?
Manufacturing is Iowa's largest industry, contributing $30 billion annually to our economy.
10. Where is the site of the only fort ever built by the government to protect one native tribe from another?
Fort Atkinson, a city in Winneshiek County, Iowa. The Fort Atkinson State Preserve now contains the remnants of the U.S. Army frontier post that was created to keep the peace between Native American tribes and to prevent white settlers from intruding on native lands.
So how did you do? Are you an Iowa expert? Let us know how you did!