Counterfeit Bills Found in Dubuque Recently
Another round of counterfeit bills have been found in Dubuque recently. So far in 2017, 90 cases of counterfeit transactions in Dubuque alone (over 100 counts of Forgery), with a total of nearly $9,000 being passed. Below is the official release from the Dubuque Police department regarding these bills as well as what do you if you encounter someone passing fake bills
The Dubuque Police Department would like to remind citizens of the recent and substantial increase in counterfeit currency being produced and circulated in Dubuque and the surrounding area. Most recently, we have received reports of suspects using counterfeit money to make purchases arranged via social media: Facebook Marketplace, etc. As indicated in previous public notifications, we encourage both citizens and businesses alike to closely examine incoming currency for security features. For guidance, please visit https://www.uscurrency.gov/. In most cases, suspects are “bleaching” or “washing” out bills of small denomination, and then printing a larger denomination on the bill. If you encounter suspected counterfeit currency, the Department of Treasury recommends the following:
1. Do not put yourself in danger.
2. Do not return the bill to the passer.
3. Delay the passer with some excuse, if possible.
4. Observe the passer's description - and their companions' descriptions - and write down their vehicle license plate if you can.
5. Contact your local police department.
6. If possible, place the bill inside a plastic bag or envelope to protect it until turned over to police.