Holiday Safety Tips From the Dubuque Police Department
With the holiday season upon us, the Dubuque Police Department would like to offer the following safety tips.
Get there (and back) safely:
- Do not drive impaired: call a taxi, ride service, use a designated driver, or stay put.
- Everyone buckles up, regardless of seating position within the vehicle.
- Avoid distractions – electronic or otherwise.
- Slow down (or avoid driving) during adverse weather/road conditions.
Preventing package theft:
- Lock your vehicle & do not leave items of value in plain sight.
- Utilize shipping/tracking alerts on packages being delivered to your home.
- If not home upon delivery, ask a trusted neighbor to secure the package for you.
- If possible, require a signature for deliveries.
- If you see a package sitting outside your neighbor’s home, contact them & ask if they would like you to take the package in.
- Report all suspicious/criminal activity: 563-589-4415 or 9-1-1 (emergency only)
- Safety in numbers – no matter what the activity, try to take someone with you.
- Always be aware of your surroundings & prepared to act.
- Visit cityofdubuque.org/crimeprevention for more crime prevention tips!